Were you about to view the latest updates from your friends but your Facebook app keeps saying "Unfortunately, Facebook has stopped", or at worse, "Facebook keeps stopping" whenever you launch it? You're not alone; it has happened to millions of billions of Facebook users globally. And since many people spend most of their day on Facebook, it's somewhat equivalent to having a bad day when Facebook keeps crashing on their phone.
What's more, Facebook has over 2.8 billion monthly active users as of the second quatre of 2020, making it the most-used social media platform in the world. Now and then, everyone is joyful and willing to share their latest updates with friends and followers on the platform which makes it very popular and frustrating when it stopped working.
So, if the Facebook app keeps stopping on your Android phone, here are the 8 best fixes to try.
1. Try updating the Facebook app
Right off the bat, you need to ensure you're running the latest version of the Facebook mobile app before you try any other thing when Facebook keeps crashing on your phone. Sometimes, you might experience various problems if you're running an outdated version of the Facebook app. And when that happens, you don't need to stress yourself. Just visit the Google Play Store and update the Facebook app on your phone. Here are the steps to follow.
- Open the Play Store app on your phone.
- Tap the 3-line button at the top-left corner to open the side menu.
- Click on My apps & games to view available updates.
- Scroll through the list to locate Facebook and tap the Update button.
In case you can't find Facebook on the list, that means you're up-to-date. Try other solutions below.
2. Close all running apps
A notorious reason Facebook keeps stopping on Android is when you have too many apps running in the background. Actually, you can run many apps on your phone; but depending on your RAM capacity, Facebook might keep crashing occasionally. To fix that, all you need is to clear all running apps from the Recent Apps panel.
- On your Android phone, tap the square button on the navigation bar to open the recent apps panel.
- Tap the close button below the screen to close all running apps.
- Relaunch Facebook to see if the "Facebook keeps crashing message" no longer show up.
3. Try rebooting your phone
If closing all running apps didn't do the trick, we recommend you reboot your phone now to fix the Facebook app that keeps crashing. You read that, right? Rebooting your phone can resolve many problems and it doesn't take time to do it. If you haven't rebooted your phone recently, try it now; it works most times.
Just long-press the power button and select Restart from the options to reboot your phone. And if your phone freezes to the extent of not being able to open the power menu, you can long-press the Power button for about 10 seconds to force restart it instead.
4. Clear cache and data for the Facebook app
Another thing to do when the Facebook app keeps crashing on Android is clearing Facebook's cache and data. In case you're not aware, android apps cache some data temporarily to use them later and help reduce resource usage, but the cache data can cause the Facebook app to keep stopping sometimes.
To get over that, we recommend you should clear the cache and data for the Facebook app. This will reset the Facebook app, but you have nothing to lose. All you need is to login into your Facebook account again after the process to keep enjoying Facebook.
Follow these steps to clear the cache and data for Facebook on your Android phone:
- Open Settings on your phone and select Apps
- Depending on who made your Android phone, you may see your apps straight away, or you'll need to tap Manage apps first.
- Find and select Facebook on the list, then click on Storage & Cache.
- Finally, hit the Clear cache & Clear data buttons to complete the action.
- After that, open Facebook to see if the issue is cleared.
5. Check your phone Settings
The Facebook app can keep crashing on Android, based on your settings. This setting includes battery usage restriction, app permissions, and data restriction.
Battery Saver gets aggressive sometimes to the extent of force closing the Facebook app. If that happens frequently, you need to turn off Battery Saver temporarily or whitelist Facebook.
How to whitelist Facebook from Battery Optimization
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Special app access > Battery Optimization
- On the Battery optimization interface, tap the "Not optimized" drop-down menu, then select all apps.
- Finally, find Facebook on the list and set it as 'Not optimized'.
Additionally, you should ensure you allow Facebook to use your mobile data in the background. This ensures it is not forced to stop when you minimize it.
How to enable Background Data for Facebook
- On your phone, navigate to Settings > Apps & Notifications > All apps > Facebook.
- Right there, click on Mobile data & Wi-Fi.
- Finally, enable Background data.
After the process, simply reboot your phone to see if Facebook works flawlessly now.
1. Reinstall the Facebook mobile app
Right from the first time you installed the Facebook app, it started saving some data on your phone. And as time goes on, the data might get corrupt, causing Facebook to malfunction. In that case, you may need to reinstall it from the Play Store when Facebook keeps crashing on your phone.
- Just open the Play Store on your phone and search for
- Select the Facebook app, and you'll see two buttons below it.
- First, tap on Uninstall to remove it from your phone.
- Finally, tap Install to reinstall Facebook on your phone.
2. Downgrade the Facebook mobile app
If your Facebook app keeps closing, even after updating it, the latest version you're running might be buggy or conflicting with your phone system. In light of that, you may try installing an older version of the Facebook app.
And while the Play Store doesn't let you downgrade non-system apps, you can uninstall the current Facebook app on your phone and get an older version on APK Mirror [https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/facebook-2/facebook/].
- First, uninstall the Facebook app on your phone.
- Click here to visit APK Mirror (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/facebook-2/facebook/)
- Scroll down on the page to find an older version of the Facebook app.
- Download and install it manually.
3. Try alternative apps for Facebook
The fastest alternative way to access Facebook if the mobile app keeps closing is via www.facebook.com. The Facebook mobile site works just like the Facebook app, and you can do everything from posting to commenting, liking, viewing stories, etc., from there. Just visit www.facebook.com on your browser and sign in to your account.
In case you're not okay with what the Facebook mobile app is giving you, you can try installing Facebook Lite or other Facebook app client from the Play Store, pending the time Facebook fixes the bugs on the mobile app.