Most Android devices come with a built-in hotspot feature functionality. It’s used to share the phone’s cellular data connection to other devices by creating a WiFi network. Understanding how to use the hotspot on android comes in handy when the main internet connection isn’t available. The process is quite simple and straightforward, so let’s get started.
Via WiFi hotspot
No doubt you've seen the hotspot option in your android’s quick settings drawer. This is the quickest and simplest way to turn on and off your mobile hotspot. But there are a few things you need to understand first like configuration.
- Go to Settingson your phone.
- Click on theNetwork & Internet
- Tap on Hotspot & tethering.
- Select WiFi hotspot.
- While here, you have the option of turning the hotspot on or off. Plus, you can choose to change the network name, security type, password among others.
- Customize this hotspot feature as you would like.
Once this is complete, you can now turn on the hotspot icon. You can do so by going to the WiFi settings or using the quick settings drawer. Remember, different devices follow a different procedure to access the hotspot feature. Luckily for TECNO, Itel, and Infinix users, they follow a similar procedure as outlined above.
Via Bluetooth tethering
Bluetooth tethering is a way of sharing your android’s internet connection with other devices via Bluetooth. While this method offers the lowest speed, it uses less battery power compared to WiFi tethering or the use of USB. Note that your device must be supporting the Bluetooth feature to be able to use this method. So, here is how to go about it.
- Switch on Bluetooth on your phone.
- Now, go to your phone’s Settingsand click on Networks & internet After that, please go to Hotspot & tethering and tap on Bluetooth tethering
- While on your PC, select the class of the Bluetooth pairing as LAN or Network Access Point. You can do so by right-clicking on the Bluetooth icon on your PC, then select Join a Personal Area Network. A pop-up window will appear on your phone, right-click on it and tap on Connect using> Access Point.
- Finally, you can now access the internet on your PC.
Via USB tethering
This might not be the most common way of internet connectivity, but it’s surely effective as well. You can set up a mobile hotspot using your android USB cable. However, this doesn’t work for all android devices. Here are the steps involved.
- Take a USB cable and on one end plug it into your PC and the other end on your phone.
- Give it time to establish a connection.
- Then go to your phone’s Settings.
- Click on Network & Internet option.
- Choose Hotspot & tethering.
- Toggle the USB tethering icon on.
- You can now browse using your PC.
What you need to consider when using the hotspot on android
WiFi hotspot comes with WPA2 security and a generic password. That said, if you’ll be using your phone's hotspot in public areas, you should consider changing the password to avoid hackers intercepting your internet.
Additionally, different android devices use different methods to set up a mobile hotspot connection. Not all devices have this feature pre-installed It’s important to check your device’s manufacturer instructions first. When you’re done using the WiFi hotspot, you should turn the feature off to avoid draining your phone's battery.