My first time experiencing "Unfortunately, Snapchat has stopped working" and "Snapchat keeps stopping" was horrible, to be honest. I was trying to share my latest Snap with my friends but my Snapchat keeps crashing anytime I open it, leaving me with a frustrating face.
If you're also facing a similar issue on your device, you've just landed on the right page. In the next couple of lines, this article will help you overcome the frustrating Snapchat problem and allow you to continue enjoying its exciting features again. Let's get started!
1. Close Snapchat from recent apps
Getting rid of "Snapchat keeps stopping" on Android can be simple as closing the app from the recent apps menu. Sometimes, your phone might force Snapchat to go to idle mode after running in the background for too long. This causes it keeps crashing when y1ou try opening it.
In that case, we recommend you close Snapchat from the recent apps first to shut it down, then launch it again.
Force close Snapchat on Android.
- Tap the overview button or swipe and hold from the bottom of the screen (on Android 10 or later) to open the recent apps panel.
- Find Snapchat from the recent apps, then swipe it up to close it. You may also tap the Clear button to clear all the recent apps.
Force close Snapchat on an iPhone
- Double-tap the Home button or swipe up and hold from the bottom of the screen (on iPhone X and later) to open the recent apps panel.
- Find Snapchat from there and swipe it up to close it.
After that, simply re-run Snapchat to check if it fixes the problem. If not, keep trying the solutions below until you get a proper fix.
2. Update Snapchat
Next, you need to ensure Snapchat is up-to-date on your iPhone or Android device to stay away from unwanted troubles. A lot seems to change on mobile apps every day, and when the unfavorable ones happen, developers send an update to rectify it.
Specifically, if you've just upgraded your device to the latest software, the Snapchat app on your phone might not be able to keep up with it until you update it too. So, when your Snapchat keeps crashing, head over to the App Store or Play Store to update it.
- Launch the App Store on your iPhone or the Play Store on your Android device.
- Search for Snapchat and select the official app.
- Tap the Update button to install the latest update. Launch Snapchat now to check if it fixes the problem.
3. Wipe Snap chat’s cache files
Especially on Android, Snapchat might stop working if you have many cache files stored in memory or when they get corrupted. A quick way to rectify that is by clearing the cache files. Let's get started!
On your Android phone
- Launch the Settings app and click the Apps & Notifications
- Tap the See all apps link to view your apps.
- Locate and open Snapchat on the list.
- Select Storage & Cache
- And finally, tap the Clear cache button to erase the cache files.
You can clear the cache files for Snapchat on your iPhone too, but only inside the app. And because you can't open Snapchat now, just skip it for the next solution below.
4. Restart your device
We can guess you haven't restarted your phone this week, but that shouldn't be so. Restarting your device is the basis for fixing the most problems you might come across anytime.
And while it takes little of your effort, it refreshes both software and hardware features, close all background process, and starts a fresh session on your phone.
Now that Snapchat keeps crashing after following the first three solutions above, we recommend you reboot your phone by following the steps below.
- Either you use Android or iPhone, the rebooting process is straightforward. Simply long-press the Power button to open the power menu.
- On most Android devices, you need to tap on Restart or Reboot, while iOS requires you to swipe to
Fire up Snapchat again after rebooting your device to check if it works now. Otherwise, we've got more fixes for you below. Keep trying!
5. Install the latest software update
If Snapchat keeps crashing after upgrading your iPhone 7 or iPhone 11, or even any Android phone, you might not be on the best software yet. Many users reported frequent app crashing after updating to the latest software, but they fixed it after releasing a new software update. On the same note, you can do well by updating your phone to the latest version, even if you haven't upgraded the software recently.
- To install updates on Android, head over to Settings > System > System Updates.
- To install updates on iPhone, go to Settings > General > System Update.
Before you update, ensure you're connected to a Wi-Fi network and plug in your charger.
6. Uninstall forbidden apps
Did you install some apps outside the Play Store recently? That might be the reason your Snapchat keeps crashing for you. Malicious apps are prone to destabilizing things on your phone, and if you have one - remove it as soon as possible!
7. Delete and reinstall Snapchat
Should it be that none of the solutions above stops Snapchat from crashing on your device? Well, we feel your effort. But you might just have to start from scratch to make everything work again - delete Snapchat and install it again; that's an effective way of fixing app issues.
It will erase the app data and reset the settings but won't clear your camera roll or account. Follow these instructions to reinstall Snapchat on your device.
- Find Snapchat on your home screen and long-press its icon.
- Tap Delete or the X button to uninstall Snapchat from your device.
- Now, head over to the App Store to reinstall it.
- Open the Play Store straight away.
- Search for Snapchat and select the official app.
- First, tap the Uninstall button to remove Snapchat.
- What for a few seconds to finish removing it, then tap the Install button to re-install Snapchat on your phone