There are many occasions where you'd want to download YouTube videos on your Android phone. Sometimes, you might need to download the videos for offline viewing, just in case you're cut off from your Wi-Fi network. Other times, you might need a clip from the YouTube video for personal use and others.
And yes, you can download YouTube videos offline on your Android devices.
Ways of downloading videos on your phone are many – you can use the official YouTube apps (if you have a premium subscription in some regions), third-party apps such as TubeMate and Ymusic, or your web browser.
In this article, we’ll look at the three methods to download YouTube videos, and you’ll be able to choose the best option for you after that. Let’s get into business!
Official YouTube and YouTube Go apps
Perhaps, the simplest way to download YouTube videos on your Android phone is using the official YouTube apps that come preinstalled on your phone. Whether you're using the standard YouTube app, or the YouTube Go app targeted for Android Go devices, you can seamlessly download YouTube videos on your phone for offline viewing.
The YouTube download feature lets you specify your download quality. You can choose from on Low (144p), Medium (360p), High (720p), or simply set it to ask your download quality each time you want to download a video.
Additionally, the YouTube app allows you to schedule downloads over Wi-Fi only, so you don't pass your monthly quota.
However, the flip side is that YouTube requires a premium subscription to download offline videos in some regions. This shouldn’t be a problem for you if you live in Nigeria. But if you’re an unsubscribed user from other regions, you might want to try the other methods in this article.
How to download YouTube videos on the YouTube app
- Open the YouTube app on your device.
- Look for the video you wish to download.
- Tap the 3-dot button on the right side under the video's thumbnail.
- Click Download video
- Select your preferred Download quality and hit Download to start saving your video offline.
- Alternatively, if you’re already playing the video, you’ll see the Download button below the player. Tap it to download the video
Your video should start downloading now based on your initial preferences. You might want to tweak the download settings to suit your needs. All you need is to go to the Download settings page:
- On the YouTube app, tap your profile picture at the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings
- Select Downloads
- From there, you can tweak your download preferences.
How to download YouTube videos on YouTube Go
If your phone is running Android Go, downloading videos is even easier with the YouTube Go app. Follow the steps below.
- Open the YouTube Go
- Find the video you wish to download and click on it.
- Choose your preferred Download quality
- Tap the Download button
How to download YouTube videos with third-party apps
The unique downside of downloading videos with the official YouTube app is that it needs a premium subscription in some regions, which might not be favorable for some. Also, if you're looking forward to sharing the downloaded video file with someone later, the YouTube app won't allow you. So, the best way to go is to use a YouTube video downloader app.
These apps let you save video files – in various formats – directly to your phone storage. So, it's easy to share, move, or transfer to your computer if the need arises. There are various YouTube downloader apps out there that work well. Some of them also add some unique features to the mix. The apps include TubeMate, VideoMate, Ymusic, etc.
As you'd expect, none of these apps are on the Play Store, meaning you'll need to download them from third-party app stores or their official website. If you're cool with that, let's teach you how to download YouTube videos with third-party apps on Android. In this article, we'll use Ymusic. You can also get VideoMate, TubeMate, and more if you like.
How to download YouTube videos with Ymusic
Ymusic itself serves as a standalone YouTube app – you can play and download YouTube videos and music from the app. If you feel secure, you can also sign in to your Google Account to get all YouTube personalization features in the app.
You probably don’t need all that if you only want to use the app for video downloading. To get started, you need to download the Ymusic app from their website (http://ymusic.io) and install it on your phone manually.
The fastest way to download YouTube videos using Ymusic is to share the video (link) from the YouTube app to the Ymusic app. doing so allows you to download the video to your device without leaving the YouTube app itself. Here’s how:
- Open the official YouTube app and find a video you want to download.
- Tap the 3-dot button on the right side below the video thumbnail
- Click Share in the menu. This will reveal the Android Share sheet
- Find “Other Download” with the Ymusic icon and on the Share sheet and tap it.
- Wait for a few seconds to generate the link.
- Finally, select the video quality on the screen and wait for it to finish downloading.
If you don’t want to be sharing the link from the YouTube app always, you can search and download any video you want on the Ymusic app itself.
How to download YouTube videos from your browser
The last method we want to mention about downloading YouTube videos on your Android phone is using your browser. Now, this requires you to neglect the YouTube mobile app and open the YouTube website in your browser.
The download step is simple, as you don't need any third-party app or the YouTube app to accomplish your mission. And the most interesting is that it works on iPhones and computers too.
How to download YouTube videos from Savefromnet using the “ss” prefix
To download YouTube videos via your browser, we’ll be using the Savefromnet site, which allows you to download YouTube videos just by inserting a prefix – “ss” – to the video link. Here’s how:
- Go to youtube.com on your browser and open any video you wish to download.
- When the video is playing, pause it and click on the address bar.
- In the address bar, insert “ss” before “youtube.com/…” and press Enter on your keyboard. If you get it right, the address should be something like this –https://ssyoutube.com/watch...
- Doing so will redirect to en.savefrom.net where you can download the YouTube video safely.
- On the page, you'll see the basic information about the video. They include the video duration, title, and download link.
- Tap the drop-down button next to the Download button to select your preferred video format and quality. Your video will start downloading, and you'll be able to view it in your Video Player app or File Manager.