Instagram experience has been great, so far from its launch. However, one of the frustrating and the most reported issue using the app is when the Instagram notifications are not working properly. This puts an end to receiving notifications for DM, Live stream, new likes and comments, etc. If you're also experiencing this issue on your phone, here's the ultimate guide on how to fix Instagram Notifications not working.
Push Notifications Settings
Right off the bat, you need to ensure Instagram notifications are enabled on both in the app and in your phone settings. This exists to suit everyone's needs. For instance, you might enjoy receiving notifications for every post your friends make on Instagram, while I may prefer receiving nothing but notifications for my DM and comments alone. If the problem of Instagram notifications not working happens on your phone, follow the steps below to enable it from your device's settings.
Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Apps & Notifications
- Select Manage Apps or Apps info to view all your apps.
- Locate and tap Instagram.
- Now tap Notifications.
- Getting here, you'll see all your Instagram notifications arranged in categories. Go through them and enable all relevant ones according to what best suits you.
After enabling the notifications from your phone's Settings, also ensure it's enabled in the Instagram app.
- Open your Instagram app
- Tap on your Profile, then click the Menu icon in the top-right corner.
- Now tap Settings.
- then tap Notifications.
- You would also see all customizable notifications, go through them and enable the ones you want.
Clearing storage data and cache
If you are not getting Instagram notifications, also try clearing the storage and cache data for your Instagram app. Perhaps the stored cache is corrupted or getting too much and becoming unneeded for the app to run smoothly. Here, clearing the cache and storage data could help. Here's how to do it on Android.
- Open your app drawer, then locate Instagram.
- Long-press in the app icon to show the options. Now tap on App info.
- In the App info menu, click Storage & cache.
- Tap on Clear storage, and then, clear cache.
- After that, now log in to your Instagram account and check if it works.
Check Do Not Disturb
As well as enabling notifications for your Instagram app, also double-check if your device is not in Do Not Disturb (DND) mode. While DND mode is on, it cuts off all notification channels and keeps them silent and invisible in the notification panel, and then bring them back when it's turned off.
Turning off DND is pretty simple, just swipe down the quick-settings panel, locate and disable DND. If you can't find it there, go to Settings > Sounds > Do Not Disturb and disable it.
Update the phone.
Sometimes, we ignore the System Update notifications on our device without bordering the dangers we risk by not installing them. System update comes mainly for two reasons - to fix bugs and add extra features. In case notifications on Instagram are not working on your Android or iPhone, kindly check for any pending updates and install it.
- Open your phone's Settings
- Scroll down and tap System.
- Now tap System Update.
- If you find any pending updates, kindly install them. It might solve the problem.
Uninstall and reinstall the Instagram app
It's very possible that Instagram build you're using is buggy or not compatible with your device. This happens sometimes, especially when you didn't download the app from the Play Store. Perhaps you got it from a friend. Here, re-installing the Instagram app from the Play Store could help fix the issue of Instagram notifications not working.
- Open the Play Store app on your phone.
- Tap on the search bar and find the Instagram app.
- Since you have it installed already, tap on the Uninstall button to delete it.
- Wait for some seconds, then tap on Install to download the app again.
You can now safely login to your Instagram account and check if the issue is fixed.
Disable power-saving mode.
Normally, Instagram (and any other app) needs to be running in the background to send any push notifications. You might not receive any notification if your Instagram app is put to sleep or optimized. Follow the guides below to remove battery optimization for Instagram.
- Open your device Settings.
- Tap on the search bar and lookup for 'Battery Optimization'.
- On the battery optimization menu, click on the option to view all apps.
- Now locate and tap Instagram, then set it to 'Not optimized'
Also, ensure you turn off Power Saving mode if you still can't receive notifications. You can find it in the quick-settings panel or Settings > Battery.
Check network condition.
Instagram needs a working Internet connection to communicate with your device and the server. In case you're in an area with low network coverage, getting notifications in time might be quite tough. Also, ensure to check your data balance and test if other apps can connect to the internet.
Unfortunately, if none of these fixes works for you, you probably can't handle the problem. Perhaps your phone has hardware issues. Here, consulting a phone repairer is the last thing to try.
Luckily, if you own a TECNO, Infinix, or itel smartphone, you're at the right place. Carlcare is the exclusive after-sales service provider for these brands and can help diagnose and fix your malfunctioning phone.