Whether you want to save a new location, give directions to someone, or showcase your business on the map, you can do so by dropping a location pin on Google Maps! Of course, you probably have been using the service to navigate nearby places and do other stuff. You can drop a pin on Google Maps from your desktop computer or mobile app to navigate to or save a specific location. But it just didn't end there. By learning how to drop a pin on Google Maps, you can easily mark a spot on the map and get a direction, save it for later, add your business location to it, and many more.
If you're new to dropping pins on Google Maps and you're curious about how it works, here's the all-in-one guide you need.
How To Drop A Pin On Google Maps
How to drop a pin on Google Maps with your mobile phone
Adding dropped pins on Google Map locations is not limited to computers alone. It's straightforward since your mobile phone has the required sensors and can run the regular Google Maps app.
The process is similar whether you use Android or an iPhone. All you need is to ensure you have the most recent version of the Google Maps app, then follow the procedures below.
Using an Android phone
- Launch the Maps app on your phone.
- Locate where you want to drop the pin on the map.
Pro tip: If you want to drop a Google pin on your current location (where you're standing), you can tap the GPS button on the left side.
- Now, long-press where you want to drop the location pin.
- You should see a red pin on the map if you do it right.
- Tap the "Dropped pin" box below the screen to see what you can do with pinned location. You may get directions to the place, Save it for later or share it with someone. We'll get to that in a minute.
Using iOS devices: iPhone and iPad
Dropping a location pin on Google Maps using your iPhone or iPad is like the same steps as an Android phone. All you need is to install Google Maps (preferably the latest version) on your device, then follow the same procedure.
Here's how to drop a pin on Google Maps iPhone & iPad:
- Open Google Maps.
- Find where you want to drop the pin, then long-press on it.
- Tap the box labelled "Dropped pin" below the screen to see what you can do with the pinned location.
How to drop a pin on Google Maps with your desktop/laptop computer
Besides your mobile devices, your computer is also a great tool to drop pins on Google Maps. You can do so with a single click via the Google Maps' website on your browser. So, it doesn't require you to download any special app or configuration.
Plus, dropping a pin on Google Maps with your computer is better, as you would see the location clearly on a bigger screen. Meanwhile, your computer needs to have the proper sensors to get accurate, real-time locations.
With that cleared out of the way, follow these steps to drop a pin on Google Maps using your computer:
- Navigate to the Google Maps website (maps.google.com) on your preferred browser.
- Pan around with your mouse to locate where you want on the map.
- Left-click a specific location on the map to drop a pin there.
- You'll see a small location pin (showing where you've selected on the map) and a box below the screen (giving you a small detail about the selected area).
- Tap the map coordinate numbers inside the box to view more options about the selected location.
- From there, you can save, share, get directions, add your business, and more to the pinned location.
How to make the most out of a dropped pin on Google Maps
Dropping pins on Google Maps isn't just for dropping sake. You can do several things with a pinned location on Google Maps with your computer or mobile phone.
To mention a little, you can:
- Share the pinned location with someone,
- Get directions to the place
- Save it for later
- Add your business
- Add a missing place
- Find nearby places and many more.
Let's get into some of them below!
How to save and label a dropped pin on Google Maps
Perhaps your primary reason for dropping a pin on Google Maps is to store it for later. If that's true, the steps below will help you. You can also group your pinned locations into customized lists for easier access. Here's how:
- Drop a pin on your maps by following the guides mentioned above.
- Tap the Save
- Select any list on the page or add a new one to save the pinned location.
Besides saving the pin, you can also add a label to it. Google may use your tags across its services to give you personalized recommendations.
- On the same page, tap Add a label.
- Please enter your preferred name for the label, then save it.
- You can edit or remove the label by following the same step
How to find and remove dropped pins on Google Maps
Chances are you also want to know how to find a dropped pin on Google Maps or remove the obsolete ones. If yes, follow the steps below.
- Launch the Maps
- Tap the Saved tab below the screen.
- From there, you'll see all your lists containing the dropped pins. Click the one you want to view and remove it.
- You may also navigate to the Labeled tap to view or remove your labelled locations/pins.
On a computer:
- Visit the Google Maps website on your browser.
- Click the Menu button in the sidebar
- Select "Your places."
- From there, you can view, edit, or remove your saved and labelled pins.
How to share a dropped pin from Google Maps
There are a couple of ways to share the location pin with people from your computer or mobile phone. You can copy the link or share it directly with your social media accounts or apps.
Here's how to drop a pin on Google Maps and share it.
- Follow the steps mentioned earlier to drop the pin on your device.
- Tap the Share
- Would you please choose your preferred method to send the link to wherever you want it?
- Once sent, the receiver could visit the location from their end.
How to drop a pin for your business location
If you own a new business or just moved to a new area that's not yet on Google Maps, you can pin the location so more people can reach you. Unfortunately, you'll need a computer for this, as the option is not present on the mobile app.
Ready? Follow these steps to add your business to Google Maps.
- Visit the Google Maps website on your computer.
- Drop a pin on your business location, and click on the map coordinates below the screen to see more options.
- From there, select Add your business.
- It Opens the Google My Business First, you need to fill in some information about your business.
- Would you please submit the form after completing it? Google claims it may take 24-48 hours or more before your business location goes live.
That's everything you need to know about dropping pins on Google Maps. The Maps app and website has made it easier to pin my location for easier access. We hope it works well for you as well.